More and more frequently, I’m travelling to colleges and universities to participate in performances of my recital, chamber and large ensemble works, and to serve as Composer-In-Residence for specific functions, such as All-State Honors Band activities and Contemporary Arts festivals.
I happily wear many hats on these occasions, from meeting with the graduate composition seminar, to addressing an auditorium full of non-music majors on “the life of a composer,” to meeting with business classes to discuss the entrepreneurial aspects of being a composer in the marketplace, to leading master classes with instrumental studios learning my music, to presenting a lecture to the American Lit Department on how a composer (at least this one) approaches setting the texts of Walt Whitman, to having one-on-one meetings with students eager to discuss having a career in music.
I thrive on these multi-dimensional residencies that require me to integrate my experience as a composer and teacher with other disciplines: dance, theatre, the visual arts, literature, philosophy and economics to name a few. If you are planning to perform some of my music in a coming semester, I hope you’ll contact me so we can design together a residency tailor-made to fit the needs of your department and, perhaps, other departments at your school as well.
Recent residencies have included:
- University of Arizona | University of Arizona Tuba-Euphonium Studio, Prof. Kelly Thomas
- New Mexico State University | New Mexico State University Wind Symphony, Monty Hall, conductor; James Shearer, tuba
- New Mexico State University | Composer-In-Residence, 2012 NMSU Contemporary Arts Festival
- University of Arizona | University of Arizona Wind Ensemble, Prof. Gregg Hanson, conductor
- Morehead State University | MSU Symphonic Winds, Dr. Richard Miles, conductor
- Pima Community College | faculty recital, Prof. Mark Nelson and Prof. Kelly Thomas
- University of South Florida | USF Wind Ensemble, John Carmichael, conductor; Jay Hunsberger, tuba; Brandon Jones, euphonium
- University of South Florida | USF Tuba-Euphonium Studio, Prof. Jay Hunsberger
- Murray State University | Murray State University Wind Ensemble, Prof. Dennis Johnson, conductor
- University of Illinois at Chicago | UIC Wind Ensemble, Dr. José Riojas, conductor
- University of West Georgia | UWG Wind Ensmble, Dr. Josh Byrd, conductor
- Concordia University Ann Arbor | Concordia University Wind Ensemble, Dr. William Perrine, conductor